Treasure Hunt! Independent record store day!




Today is Independent record store day, which, if it were up to me, would become a mandatory international holiday. It is my high holy day, and I can honestly say that my life would not resemble the bizarre twist of depressive, melancholic, joyful and hellish euphoria that I so enjoy today if it weren't for independent record shops.

My early days in Los Angeles were dictated by whatever Rodney Bingenheimer (Rodney on the Roq) told me to do. So I spent the majority of my time hanging out at PooBah Records, Moby Disc or Aron's Records, or spending the better part of my days on Melrose Av at Vinyl Fetish or trying to avoid the attack dog behind the counter at Bleeker Bob's while searching for the new Tater Totz or Pandoras record. Thing is, even if I didn't find what I was looking for, every visit was an education. I would literally spend hours in one store sometimes, staring at the rarities hanging on the walls. It was like a museum where you could actually afford to buy some of the Picasso's and Vermeer's for five or ten bucks.

I suppose downloading your music has some acceptable place in the world, but as with so much other modern technology over the last twenty years it has taken community out of the equation and what we are left with is a non tactile world where people don't interact with each other anymore. Going to your local record shop was like going to the pub, you would have the same cast of characters who would sit around and geek off about their collections and their favorite bands. The lurker, the talker, the know-it-all would all be in attendance like clockwork on any given day and even though you all irritated each other and seldom agreed, you were happy to be there nonetheless.

When was the last time you cracked open the shrink wrap on that newly downloaded mp3 to find you got one of the 300 blue ones with a limited 7 inch inside? You didn't, because you cant and it's a crying shame. Digging for hours through boxes and boxes of moldy 10cc and Barbara Streisand records to come across that super rare copy of Tommy Dent's - Soul Thing on Cobblestone records in the last box you almost didn't look in is literally like finding treasure! If this really happened, I would have a heart attack before I ever got to play it.

In order to stave off the reaper, Independent records stores need to get hip with the kids, so to say, and change how they are doing business. There are some excellent examples of independent stores that are keeping the faith whilst moving with the times too. These guys are the future of independent record stores.

Sounds of the Universe - Funk, soul, disco, afrobeat, hip hop.

Other Music - If you like your independent, obscure or rare music, you name it they have it!

Soundflat - Punk rock, Garage rock, soul/funk, surf, Rock & Roll!

Damaged Goods - Punk rock, Garage rock.

Goner records - Everything Rock & Roll.

Origami Vinyl - Creating something out of nothing.

Official Record store day site!
- Click it!

Anyway, I leave you with a couple of recent record store finds I would be lost with out! Go buy a record! It's good for whatever you have that needs being good!

Lady B - To The Beat Y'all








Tame Impala - Retamed by canyons.























Comments

  1. I miss going to Other Records and just found out that my favorite record shop in Tallahassee bit the dust. Shame.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts