Dumb luck or Kismet? Deep Diving in Penzance.




Long time no post everybody. Since my last post I've successfully become a few years more middle aged, wear glasses, had a kid and moved from the land of hipsters to the land of pirates! Apparently the cost of living as pirate is considerably more appealing than living as a middle aged hipster. Who would have thunk it?

So where do I start? some of you may know that through sheer dumb luck or maybe a bit of divine intervention, I was put in charge of a massive vinyl music archive here in Penzance. It's called The In Deep Music Archive and it's owned and run by none other than Marty Willson-Piper and his better half Olivia Dibowski. The story of how I ended up here is neither long or complicated. Lets just say it was a combination of an unnecessarily long email professing my love for all things music and vinyl, curiosity, persistence and cojones. Anyway, here I am bathing in the holy waters of dust, damp, Nag Champa and the smell of 30,000 + vinyl records. Some would call it Heaven.






So Marty and Olivia are away on tour for the next three or four months and I have the keys and access to more music than I can possibly get my tiny brain around. It would take me a year of listening every day to even crack a quarter of one aisle. So my strategy will be reaching deep and randomly and for the most part staying away from anything too familiar.

I could easily spend the next few months sitting down here listening to my head exploding all by myself, but I think that would be incredibly selfish. Since the In deep Music Archive and me are located at the very southern tip of the UK, it might be a tad bit hard for y'all to come pay a visit. Marty regularly posts what he is listening to on the archive website, plus info on his past and upcoming projects, so by all means check it out!


In Deep Music Archive


Marty has kindly given me the go ahead to start posting my digging adventures here on The Adventures of Senor El Guapo. I figured I have plenty of music nerd friends and followers that would jump at the chance to to discover, listen to and talk about music discoveries old and new. Alas, the idea is that I will put up new posts as often as possible, mostly from the archive and occasionally from my own collection. I might add a little blurb about what I'm posting if the spirit moves me as well. If you dig what you hear, by all means use the comments section, share away and don't forget to follow me either here or The Adventures of Senor El Guapo, Facebook Page    for updates on new posts.


Now that I'm done ranting, lets get to the records! First post! We'll start the week off with some epic Prog/ Krautrock! This is the second LP by Jazz/Prog/Krautrock band KRAAN. As with lots of of Kraut and Prog rock in the 70's e.g. Can, Warm Dust, Amon Duul II, etc....... I have always thought the music was based in some sort of madness. There is no doubt a shirtless, schitzophrenic, genius, wizard in bell bottoms behind every twist and turn, beckoning us to join in their insanity. "Why yes! Senor El Guapo would love to join yooooo.......Ahhhhhhhhhhherrrrrrrugggggggg!!!


KRAAN - Wintrup


  

Comments

Post a Comment