"I want people to be ecstatic, but cry at the same time". Wayne Coyne.


We’ve spent the last two days in Germany. It was a really funny transition from staying in utter luxury in Copenhagen to staying in a Hamburg hotel in the red light district that was sandwiched between a table dancing club and a dildo superstore. I will never really understand the whole "Sex Tourism" thing? I suppose this part of Hamburg in reality, is a bit of an act specifically for the that well rounded progressive modern family, stuffed animals and model cars for the kids at the outdoor Christmas market and anal beads and bondage gear for mom and dad at the "Sexy Devil" store across the street from Santa's Winter wonderland. I miss family holidays, so cozy and warm.

The band I'm traveling with have had an awful time with some of their equipment breaking down right in the middle of shows. The main offender is this hard disc sampler thing that has a ton and a half of drum beats, backing vocals and other instruments that they play along to, and I suppose make their live show sound just like the record. The problem with this thing, was that when it would decide to shut down during a show, the band would completely stop playing and sort of stand there "deer in headlights" staring at each other wondering what to do next? I was screaming at them (in my head) "Keep f'ing playing!!!!" "What are you stopping for?" "Your a Rock and Roll band for Christ sake! Throw the F'ing hard disc thing into the crowd and play your instruments!" This is when they did just that (minus trashing the hard disc thing) They plugged in, turned up and did what a Rock & Roll band is supposed to do, they Rocked! It was amazing, the entire show changed and, I kid you not, there were men in their 30's and 40's screaming like young girls at a Beatles concert! It was almost embarassing to watch, but they were having such a good time that I couldn't do anything but laugh so hard I had to sit down.


I recorded this on my tiny crappy camera and it couldn't take the volume so it sounds like a big mess. But you can hear enough and I think you can get the idea. This is my view every night.



The decision was made to do the rest of the tour without the machine and just play raw and live. I'm just a back line tech, so my opinion doesn't really hold much weight here, but I can honestly say they became an actual rock band at that point and the last few shows have been epic rock & roll.

I sometimes forget that I am actually working, because I get so into the show that I have to wrestle the Walter Mitty side of me that has now become the new fifth and most crucial member of the band into submission, in order to concentrate on the much less glamorous reality of whether I will have to be changing a string mid show or not? Ech! It's still pretty exciting none the less. As they say "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" Way better!

The next day we were up in the morning and heading for Berlin only a couple hours away. As amazing as this trip has been so far, it can be such a tease traveling to so many places you have always wanted to go to, but only really getting to know your hotel room and the venue. I was really hoping to see the Brandenburg gate in Berlin, but I'll have to settle for the venue dressing room instead.

Oh Right! Support bands. I always feel sorry for support bands, they are sort of like the awkward illegitimate step kid at the party, unless they are fantastically interesting, they pertty much get ignored. Our lighting guy wrote a short ditty he would sing when the opening band would go on, "Support band! They don't get paid, they don't get laid. You go out and suck, then we say great show! Cause your the support band!" Just sing it to any old tune in your head, it's an all purpose ditty. Saying this the Support band for the Hamburg gig was amazing and certainly didn't fit into this category Bang Bang Eche. They worked their asses off and had the whole place dancing, their asses off. Next stop Amsterdam!

Comments

Popular Posts